Moving to a new home overseas or across the United States can be an exciting change in your life. However, it’s important to take proper steps to prepare for your move, and make the change as easy as possible. If you’re considering a long-distance move or an international move, make sure to keep the following suggestions in mind.
Set A Budget
Moving can be expensive, especially if it’s done to another country during an international move. This is why it’s important to plan for travel expenses such as hotels and food that you will need to pay for during the trip. You might also need to rent a car, purchase new furniture, and stock up on groceries upon arrival.
Some people who move for their job are offered corporate relocation options that help pay for most of the moving expenses. It’s important to clearly understand what is covered by your new employer before making the move.
It’s also important to notify your bank and credit card companies of the move in order to have easy access to your funds and avoid any locks on your account.
Collect All Needed Paperwork
Moving to a new state or country often comes with the need to get all necessary paperwork. This can include:
- Up-to-date passports for all family members
- Sorting out special work visas
- Transferring school documents for any children
- Getting copies of your medical documents for your new doctor or dentist
- Deferring tax documents by notifying the government of your move and how long you plan on being there
Flying on an airplane is often the first choice many families choose due to how fast it is compared to other options. It’s important to keep in mind the following if you are considering using an airplane during your long-distance move.
Benefits of Flying
- It’s often the fastest option
- There are a variety of options and prices to choose from
- There’s less of a need for food and lodging
- Flights are available to most cities in the United States or abroad
Disadvantages of Flying
- This is often the most expensive choice
- Limited cargo space is common and adding more luggage can mean extra fees
- Pets or plants might not be allowed on the plane
- Delays could occur
Driving is the most flexible of all traveling options, providing you with great freedom to leave on your own terms. However, there are some disadvantages that should be kept in mind.
Benefits of Driving
- You adjust the schedule and route as much as needed
- Transporting pets, valuables, or other belongings can be done easily through this option
- You can stop as many times as you want
- You often have more cargo capacity compared to other travel options
- You won’t need to transport your car separately
Disadvantages of Driving
- Driving might not be an option if your new home is overseas
- Gas prices vary greatly, and can often often be higher if you’re pulling heavy cargo
- Breakdowns, flat tires, or other forms of maintenance might be needed during your trip
- Time spent during travel is often longer than simply flying or taking a train
- Meals and hotel stays have to be factored in during the trip
Taking a train is an option for many who live in areas that have easy access to this form of transportation. Here are some of the benefits and disadvantages that come from choosing to travel by train during a long-distance move.
Benefits of Train Travel
- There is more room and amenities compared to flying
- Train service is available in large cities
- Riding a train is faster compared to driving a car
- The cost of the trip is presented upfront
Disadvantages of Train Travel
- Limited space to store your belongings
- Service to less populated areas is often not available
- Delays are possible and could happen due to circumstances outside of your control
- You may need to rent a car to finish the trip if the train station is far away from your new home
Check Customs Requirements
If you’re moving abroad, there might be restrictions set on the type of pets that can be brought into the country. This might make it difficult to take exotic pets or certain birds with you. For those pets who are allowed, proof of vaccination will most likely be needed in order for them to be able to enter the country.
Certain plants are also not admitted into some countries, which means that you might need to leave them behind when moving to a new home.
Hire Experienced International Movers
Moving to another country can often involve months of planning and can be stressful on you and your family. By hiring an experienced international moving company, such as Austin Van & Storage, you can make the move as stress-free and easy as possible. Get a quote or give us a call to make your next move your best move!